Friday, July 13, 2007

All the roads we had to walk were winding

I've been counting down the weeks, the days, the hours until I am finally out of this place.
In retrospect, I know it won't feel that bad, and I will remember all the money I made. I'll forget the daily fatigue and stress. But missing the sunshine every day, sitting for 14 consecutive hours, with no one my own age, losing the few precious moments of my youth that I could be spent with my friends before we never get a chance to see each other again.

I hate that I have nothing in common with the people here.
In a response to my college major, someone asked me what I wanted to do with it. I said fashion marketing or advertising. They responded that I should "Look into Staples - they are now selling chairs designed by Donald Trump." What? Did they hear what I said?
Another person asked what Dolce & Gabbana was and why I liked fashion magazines, anyway; "they are practically all ads." Of course. That's exactly what I want to do with my life. Haven't you been listening?
While eating a candy bar, someone commented, "That has more calories than those models in your magazines eat in a whole day." I mentally rolled my eyes. All I ever hear are stereotypes! Don't they think I know the actual truths by now? I've only been living and breathing this world for almost four years.

I realize there is no knowledge of anything in the fashion world necessary to get into engineering, but that's the only thing I'm actually, truly interested in that has any type of realistic profession behind it [disregarding archaeology, paid traveler, marrying rich, etc].
I feel like they brush it aside as if it is unimportant, not a real business. There are thousands of millions of dollars in fashion - all different fields, not just modeling and designing. Without even knowing it, fashion contributes to a lot of the things we hear and see on a daily basis, and we don't even realize.

I want to educate people, have them understand.

1 comment:

moonrat said...

you go, girl. you tell those pocket-protected dorks.

you've been very sensible about what you want to do with yourself. it's not very often that people have a passion they can turn into actual dollars. so pity the ignorants.